It’s true what they say, there’s no place quite like the fashion and design industry. As a seamless landscape where art and technology meets innovation and business, designers have the power to shape and help better the way in which we all live our lives. That said, there has never been a time better than now to pursue fashion or design courses as prospective students and graduates are truly set up for success from the onset. If you didn’t know already, here are nine unexpected career options that graduates with a degree in fashion or design can consider.
1. Graphic designer. An obvious one for starters but did you know that graphic designing is the number one most sought-after job no matter the industry or company? It’s because every organisation today requires visual concepts and branding communications.
2. Printmaker. Creativity, dexterity, technical abilities and specialist knowledge in different mediums are absolutely essential if you want to become a printmaker. Today’s printmakers also use an array of digital tools on top of specialist craftwork.
3. Multimedia specialist. As the name suggests, multimedia specialists are able to expertly combine design and technology to produce a range of work including various form of communications, artwork imaging, animation and more. With the best design colleges often teaching in a variety of medium, this career choice is basically in the bag!
4. Teacher/Lecturer. Often overlooked but highly lucrative, graduates with a true passion for the mechanics of design should consider applying their knowledge in education. After all, there’s nothing more satisfying than contributing to the core foundations of a good fashion design school.
5. Product designers. Product designers place an emphasis on user research, aesthetics and functionality of a product. An innovative mind and endless patience is key here.
6. Trend spotter/forecaster. Wildly similar to the role of designers, trend spotters are a natural when it comes to styles and trends. The difference is that one creates and another predicts.
7. Packaging designer. Packaging designers combine marketing skills with their endless creativity to create engaging artwork for a variety of products. This role is highly sought-after in the design real as presentation and packaging is everything.
8. Creative stylist. Utilise that eye for design to produce visually appealing and captivating displays, shoots and yes, outfits.
9. Illustrator. Every designer needs an illustrator to help bring artistic visions to life so having conceptual skills, strong aesthetics and a unique viewpoint are a must.